Thursday, April 19, 2012
The Spade Ranch History on Horses
The Ellwood Family had horses before they ever had cattle. In the 1870s, the Ellwood family began importing Perchron horses, which came from France, and the Clydesdale horses, which came from Scotland. Throughout the years, the Ellwood family has been known for their fine horses and great breeding abilities. However, at the being of the 1900s the horse market was flooded with too many horse causing the price to drop so much that the Spade Ranch could not give the horses away. So in turn the horses were sent to the Lubbock County Ranch and the Renderbrook section of the Spade Ranch so that the cowboys had horses to ride. The horse had always been the ranch’s primary focus. The American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA) was becoming a big deal for the Spade Ranch in 1942, so they registered their first horse with AQHA. The first registered was named Colorado Gus. In the 1970s, the spade remuda became a popular award given by the AQHA that the Spade ranch has win many times. By then the Spade Ranch had established their branch in New Mexico, which was called Chappell-Spade. Marion Flynt was able to produce some of the first legendary horse that came from the Spade Ranch. A few of these horse are Marion’s Girl, Jewel’s Leo Bars also known as “Freckles”, and Freckles Smoke. Some of the horses were cross breed within the horse lines to better improve the genetics. All of the horses have proven to be tough and athletic so that the cowboys are always able to have a good horse.